Georgestown Community Compost
From Idea to Action in a Blink of an Eye!
Where: Kings Gate Condo, downtown St. John’s, NL. In their beautiful green area, which hosts the community garden created in partnership with Stella’s Circle.
Project leader: Zero Waste Action Team, Social Justice Co-operative NL.
Project participants: Planeet Consulting, Stella’s Circle, Food First NL, and residents of Kings Gate Condo and Georgestown neighbourhood.
Project sponsors: Food First NL, City of St. John’s, the Multi-Material Stewardship Board (MMSB).
- Making it possible for neighbours to divert their organics in a city with no municipal composting infrastructure.
- Hands-on and community-level all the way, from collection and processing of organics to the use of the compost.
- Compost Operator position paid through grants.
- Insulated, rodent- and odour-proof tumbler bins that produce compost in six weeks.
- Organics diversion from 27 households, about 50 people.
- Finished compost for participants and Stella’s Circle community garden (over 1000 lb over a year) with almost no contamination!
- A Guide to Community Composting in NL.
- Volunteer opportunities for Stella’s Circle Green Teams.
What are we learning:
- Community composting allows to move from idea to action very quickly and has the potential to become a network of social enterprises.
- There’s a demand for composting sites.
- There’s a need to figure out how to make the program sustainable in the long term.
- Existing challenges are related to land use, permitting processes, liability, lack of regulations, and negative public perception of composting.
Let’s bring Community Composting to every community and neighbourhood in Newfoundland and Labrador! Click here to learn more about the NL Community Composting Network (a Co-operative in the making!).
Where to learn more:
- Community composting comes to St. John’s with plans to expand. From the Ground Up. CBC Newfoundland and Labrador. November 2021.
- Enterprise and Innovation in the Food System. St. John’s Food Assessment. Food First NL. Georgestown Community Composting as a Social Enterprise. April 2021.
- Planning for a City-wide Composting Program. Food Producers Forum. March 2021.
- What is Community Composting? Institute for Local Self-Reliance.
- Joracan bins. Learn more about the bins we’re using.
Follow us on Instagram
Click any image below to see all our posts and to follow us!
Composting in the winter. Credits: Viviana Ramírez-Luna